Ameritas Life Insurance Corp.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Senior Project Manager
at Ameritas Life Insurance Corp.
Job TitleSenior Project Manager
LocationAmeritas Group Fallbrook-NELK4
Area of InterestInformation Technology
At Ameritas, fulfilling life is what we do daily. We continuously strive to help our customers and employees enjoy life at its very best by reducing uncertainty, helping grow assets and protecting what is most cherished. We're here to help people put worry behind and the future ahead and help enable a life that's rich in family, happiness, health and financial security. When lives are fulfilled, our mission is fulfilled.
Ameritas Life Insurance Corp is seeking a Senior Project Manager to drive the business by applying in-depth knowledge and experience with project management methodologies, as well as IT and/or business background, to effectively and successfully manage moderate to large projects. Sets deadlines, assigns responsibilities, monitors and communicates progress, relying on experience and judgment to accomplish plan and goals. Manage multiple projects at any given time.
Essential Job Functions
Scope of senior project manager is focused on portfolio, program and project management within the division and/or corporation.
Project Integration Management
- Works with sponsor and subject matter experts to clearly identify project objectives, assumptions, and constraints; aware of strategic alignment of assigned projects
- Works with other project managers or experts, identifies interface points with other projects in the portfolio.
- Has responsibility for all aspects of the project over the entire lifecycle (initiate, plan, execute, control, close).
- Utilizes project management tools to manage the project, e.g. Microsoft Project, etc
Project Scope Management
- Develops project charter to formally document high level project scope, deliverables, approach, project organization, budget, resource plan, business benefits, benefit measurements, and critical success factors
- Uses charter as documentation of the agreement between the project team and customers or other stakeholders by focusing on key project deliverables and objectives.
- Conducts meetings in accordance to plans.
- Establishes review/approval process for project deliverables
- Can evaluate the degree to which changes would affect the project scope, and evaluate alternatives to scope modifications.
- Implements approved changes, manage related work tasks, and integrate approve scope changes into other control processes
- Identifies causes of variances in project scope and documents lessons learned with regard to scope
Project Time Management
- Identifies customer expectations with regards to timing of delivery, major milestones, and any schedule and delivery constraints
- Determines the relationships between project activities and dependencies for activity sequencing
- Produces a baseline project schedule and implements mechanisms to measure, record and report progress of activities in relation to the agreed schedule and plans.
- Travel as needed by project. Estimated at less than 50%
- Expected to work extended hours as project plans or critical milestones may demand.
- Readily available for special assignments
Project Cost Management
- Develops cost benefit analysis and identifies budget constraints
- Identifies physical resources available to the project, including contracted resources
- Identifies staff requirements through a process of defining the skill types, training needs, and required timeframes
- Implements, monitors, and modifies agreed actions to maintain financial and overall project objectives throughout the project life cycle
- Determines modifications needed to estimates for completion.
Project Quality Management
- Plans and executes project quality control, assurance, and improvement processes
- Identifies and implements actions needed to increase project effectiveness and efficiency
- With assistance, performs inspections, reviews, and walkthroughs to ensure that items are properly documented as accepted, rejected, or identified for rework.
Project Human Resources Management
- Develops an organizational chart for project work
- Communicates designated staff responsibilities and performance measurement criteria to ensure clarity of understanding of the work
- Manages project team, driving motivation, collaboration and performance. Assesses performance for feedback to managers
- Facilitates collaboration among many stakeholders of diverse interests, sometimes in conflict
- Implements rewards/recognitions and programs that enhance team performance
Generally, not accountable for direct supervisory responsibilities.
Project Communications Management
- Develops and executes a project communication plan, ensures communication of key performance indicators to a variety of audiences, e.g. team, stakeholders
- Establishes project status reporting process and cycle
- Generates and disseminates project status, progress, and forecast reports to appropriate stakeholders, e.g. variance, trend, earned value etc.
Project Risk Management
- Identifies and prioritizes potential project risk events, the probability of those events, and the impact of those events
- Develops and executes mitigation plans for those identified risks and continues to monitor and communicate any changes to the risk management plan
- Operates with intensity to achieve project goals
- Measures projects in an ordered, accurate way
- Strives to understand all project stakeholders thoughts, feelings, and concerns
- Listens and responds to others
- Effectively carries out duties and responsibilities in a professional manner
- Adapts to changes in project environment to minimize adverse project impacts
- Enables high performance
- Able to adjust to changes in plans easily and well
- Able to effectively lead meetings
- Demonstrates leadership and teamwork skills as well as ability to work effectively with associates at all levels of the organization. Gains support and cooperation from people over whom they have no direct authority or control, including external vendors
- Lead by example by operating in a mode that reflects teamwork, open-mindedness, respect and focus on the overall goals of the enterprise.
Portfolio Management Competencies
- Execute an application portfolio program, including a delivery plan.
- Responsible for ensuring that decisions within management of portfolio are guided by policies, procedures and priorities established by Executive team
- Adjust a delivery plan with agreement and commitment from all stakeholders.
- Identify dependencies, constraints, issues, and conflicts in the plan in coordination with other teams, units, and the business divisions.
- Identify various alternatives as solutions to the dependencies, constraints, issues, and conflicts for negotiation with the sponsors and stakeholders in changing previously agreed timeframes, scopes, or resource commitments.
- Accountable for execution of the delivery plan as agreed, within the context of the long term vision and technology direction in partnership with the appropriate architects.
- Maintain high-level knowledge of the insurance industry, our company's business and other relevant business areas.
- Maintain awareness of industry trends. Understands emerging technologies and apply understanding to solutioning and management.
- Maintain high-level knowledge of emerging technology trends relevant to area under management.
- Bachelors degree or equivalent
- Minimum of 5 years experience leading moderate to large projects using an established project management methodology
- PMP designation preferred or must demonstrate progress toward obtaining PMP designation
- Maintains high level knowledge project management practices and project management methodologies. Preferably in the digital strategy channel
- Has solid understanding of how technology is leveraged in projects
We are Ameritas: proud to say we're in the business of fulfilling life.